Monday, October 06, 2008

there and back again

Well, this blogging lark started in Colombo, Sri Lanka and here I am again. Back at the beginning.

Had a fairly uneventful flight from London to Colombo. 10 hours overnight starting at 9.30pm London time. The plane was very empty and there were plenty of 4 seats across the middle all totally unused. So, as soon as the seat belt sign went off, I made my way over from my window seat to a set of middle sets to make myself comfortable laying across the four of them to get a good nights sleep. Up went the first armrest and then the middle arm rest, hang on, it's stuck. Or is it. No, it is locked. The middle arm rests don't go up on this plane, meaning that across my nice 4 seat bed, right smack in the middle, in the most awkward place you could imagine is a double arm rest. So somehow to try to sleep I have to squeeze my body in one half of the seats, loop my legs over the armrests and then try to sleep with my head jammed up against the end armrest. Of course, I only got a couple of hours sleep and am completely cream crackered this evening. As we came in to land I am looking out of the window at a magnificent sight of this beautiful and green island below me. What a shame it has such a sad history in recent times and it has not developed into the paradise it should be. As war rages in the North and people are dying, disappearing, being displaced from family and home. the sun shines down on the beautiful, golden ,sunkissed sandy beaches that surround the inland verdant green woodland and jungles.

The island is so lush with trees and greenery everywhere. No Kabul dust bowl here, just nature in its beautifel finery.

The office here is a big house to the East of Colombo with the upstairs being the ex-pat living quarters. Although there are no aircons downstairs (and it was very hot today) thankfully there is an aircon in my bedroom. The house is now empty as everyone has gone home so I have showered, and am awaiting the arrival of Chilli vegetables from a local restaurant. I really am too tired to go out and I have a lot of notes to catch up on this evening. Have just been to the kitchen to get a cold drink, as I turned on the light a rather startled Gecko ran up the wall and out of sight behind the cupboard.

At least I am not alone!!

No comments: