Tuesday, October 07, 2008

starting a new job

You know when you start a new job, you can be a little apprehensive. You have met the people, had the interview, and today is the big day when you head into the unknown.

(Yes, I know the piccie does not seem to be related, but stick with me, I digress but get there in the end).

Well that was how I felt as those immortal words "cabin crew, cabin doors to manual, take your positions for landing" rang out over the speaker system. Curiously, I do not think much about the job until I hear those words and the plane begins to descend into the airport.

Will I get through passport control? will someone be there to pick me up? what will the office be like? what will the people be like? will I get fed? will I have a decent room an somewhere to shower/wash? will anyone provide breakfast? is it hot? is there an aircon in the office or the bedroom? what other creatures will share my space? will there be toilet paper? can I get out and about in the evening? what will the work be like? will I be able to contact home? what will be expected of me? and so they begin to rattle around my brain.

Well it turns out all is well. I think I know what I am doing, everyone seems very friendly, I got no dinner yesterday after all, but today I have and it was fantastic. In fact I was so impressed I took a photo and attached it above. As you can see, I have apple juice, I have a samosa on the blue plate, curry and sauces in the bowls and last, but no means least, the dosa wrapped in palm leaves. Don't they just look the business! It all tasted as good as it looks so I am a happy bunny.

BUT, for those of you in a wet and rainy UK let me tell you it is hot, hot, hot here. I am sweating all over and my shirt and trousers are both damp from sweat. All the time my skin is shining and it is really important to keep drinking water, water, water. You try to sit and work by the fan, but it simply blows all your work away, so a compromise has to be reached between the amount of sweating you do and the amount of paper you want to remain on your desk!!

Everyone has gone home and I have the house/office to myself. I went for a short stroll this evening up to the main road and couldn't help noticing what look like rain clouds. As I sat down to eat my dinner there was a hammering at the front door like a demented Tasmanian Devil had smelt the food and wanted some of the action. At the same time the hammering was at the window, and the back door and the roof. Yes, my friends this is rain - monsoon style. It is coming down by the bucket load, no make that a wheelie bin load, OK by the skip load. Poked my head out the door for a little refreshing and went and sat back down.

Oh well, that will do for now, am going to have a cold shower and set the aircon for night mode, not too hot, not too cold, not too fast, not too slow. Took me a few attempts last night to get it right, but now I have my settings nothing will stop me sleeping tonight - I hope!

No comments: